Every year you might be the type of person that needs to set New Year’s resolutions. Jan 1 is approaching quickly and maybe you’re still trying to finalize your list. I have a better idea for you; you can just forget them this year…throw them out the window. Because most of us want to go big or go home with resolutions, the majority of us don’t actually keep them (all except the unicorn-like 8%). Beginning a new year is a great point in time to refresh our purpose for the next twelve months. The new year as a general feeling of renewal but I plead with you that this year you take a different approach to making resolutions. Let’s not set lofty goals that will result in failure and then shortly thereafter, disappointment.
That means, go grab a permanent black marker and get your list. Cross off “eat right” and “lose weight” from them immediately. You can keep “be a better person,” welp, because that’s always a good thing. Let’s adjust our unreasonable goals that are filled with an unfair amount of pressure. Now, with a gold marker jot down “maintain a healthy weight for my body type.” See how simple it was to reverse a resolution into a positive goal? It’s all about changing our mindsets and matter of factly, screwing what society expects. Our goals will be different from one another’s but they will all mentally help us combat societal norms.
This year, let’s be more intentional with our goals. Let’s promise to keep things more real and get more body positive! I’ve created the following list just for you. Take these goals, print them out or write them down…now say it with me:
1. I will be kinder and more compassionate to my body. This will lead to a healthier and happier life. Afterall, my body carries me through this
tiny thing we call life. It deserves all my love and care.
2. I will listen to my body more. I will hear it when it screams “I need to rest” or “I need more love.” Rest when it tells you to rest. I will use my mental health days when I need them.
3. I will compliment myself and others. I will not fake it and I will only say things I actually believe.
4. I will accept my flaws. I will talk about them more to normalize them. I will learn to love them.
5. I will get rid of all negative people in my life. I will only surround myself with people who also practice self love.
6. I will speak up when I hear someone body shaming and hold them accountable for their cruel words. I will do my part to spread awareness.
7. I will wear clothes that I feel amazing in regardless of what society thinks is “proper.”
8. I will make self care a priority and not an option. I will get massages more frequently, set time aside to sit quietly in silence or read pleasurably. I might even try something like this plus cbd oil to help maintain good wellbeing. I’ve been hearing this for quite some time now and I think the universe is asking me to try it out. One of my friends suggested how I could get my hands on these products at a low rate. After all, who would turn down such a deal? A lot of dispensaries tend to offer dispensary discounts so you can get your desired cannabis product at a discount rate rather than paying the full price. Hopefully, it’ll all be worth it.
9. I will exercise because it’s good for me and not because I want to fit into a smaller pair of jeans. Instead of aiming for a smaller or perfect weight, I will aim for a healthy weight. I will remind myself that exercising is good for my mind and sex drive.
10. I will workout only doing something that I enjoy. If I love it, I won’t dread doing it. I will run only if I like to run and I will go to the gym only if I like going to the gym. I promise to get moving, even if it means just going for a walk. And if I miss two weeks of any exercise, I won’t let it spiral into more weeks and months. I will not be too hard on myself and I will workout when I can. I will give myself grace.
11. I will stop saying no to things because of my weight. I will remind myself that real life is happening, right now! I will stop waiting to be at a better place with my body to do the things I love. If my body requires a bit of relaxation, I can visit online dispensaries like buymyweedonline and buy products like cannabis-infused bath bombs that can help me relax.
12. I will not weigh myself. The scale hasn’t ever been able to determine my health or happiness. I will work on ridding the stigma associated with the number the scale gives me. I will remind myself that most people don’t have a healthy relationship with it. Heck, maybe I’ll even throw it out.
13. I will purge my closet of things that don’t fit my current body. I will dress my body for now. I will donate anything that no longer fits.
14. I will give myself a boost of confidence when I highlight my favorite part of my body. I will stop buying clothing that do not highlight this part of my body.
15. I will not wait. I will start now.
You are already dope. I hope that these attainable goals we just set will help you develop a deeper sense of gratitude of your amaziness. Let’s make this year your best one yet!